Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

He Wanted His Mommy!

Last night the Little Man was getting t-i-r-e-d, and Dad went to go put him down to sleep. Nothing seemed to be working. 45 minutes of rocking and walking and soothing and nursing did nothing for him. One thing the little guy kept doing, though, was looking at me and reaching his hands out toward me.

Now, he does this often. He'll reach out for me, and once I get him all tucked into my arms he notices Daddy and OMGINEEDDADNOW!!!!!! and he does the full body leaning and reaching. Lather, rinse, repeat until one or the other of us leaves the room.

But last night I took him and he snuggled in, kind of whimpering. He'd been fussing for a while, and was only quiet when my husband was walking him around. I figured I would try the walking around thing, so I put on his go-to-sleep album on the iPod and walked around with him. (If anyone is curious, his favorite album to fall asleep by is A New Tide, by Gomez.

When I'm putting the Little Man to sleep I have a rule: once he knocks out, carry him around patting his back until the next song is over. If I put him down too soon he just wakes right back up, so I have to be sure that he's really asleep. After the 45 minutes of unsuccessful bouncing by Dad, I figured we would be in for a long slog of it.

Nope. 2 songs and he was out.

I realized...he wanted Mommy to put him to sleep! Oh joy of joys! He chose me for something other than boob sucking! I mean, for nursing I win by default, but this was something Dad could do just as well (and usually better) than I can.

You don't understand. When it comes to my husband and myself I never win. He is just too darn much fun. He can go to a park with his buddy and suddenly he'll have 20 kids on him wanting to play fun games. My own niece and nephew are allllllllllllllllllllll about "UNKA MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKE!!!" and even though I used to be the fun aunt they far prefer playing with him.

So to be preferred for something. Wow. I had to restrain myself after putting the Little Man down from running downstairs and jumping up and down singing "I win! I win! He wanted me, I win!"

And then this morning happened. The little guy was obviously tired and ready for his first nap of the day. My husband was on sleep duty as I was otherwise occupied with the pump. He was having a hell of a time until he put on the Gomez album.

2 songs, kid was out. DAMMIT.

I don't win. Freaking pop rock wins. Oh well. He is only three months old, so I have plenty of time to win. And lose. But I'd better run out and buy a bazillion copies of that album so that we never lose it.

No comments:

Post a Comment