Pages

Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Beginning...part one

I'll gloss over the pregnancy and just say that it was relatively uneventful, apart from the initial shock.

We weren't supposed to be pregnant yet. I'd just been hired for a new job and hadn't even had my first real day yet. We'd just moved to a different part of the state. And, well, this just wasn't supposed to happen yet.

But happen it did, and 9 months later the Little Man was born.

To backtrack just a bit, I have to admit that it took me a long time to get excited about having a baby. By "long time," I would honestly have to say that it took until just about the third trimester. Eventually I got to that excited place, though, and started looking forward to meeting my baby.

Like most pregnant women, I wondered a lot about when the baby would arrive. I was born at 44 weeks (yikes!), and my husband's family trended to the late side as well, so I got used to the idea that my little one would arrive a week or two late.

And then I had my 38 week appointment. I was dilated to 4 centimeters already, and starting to efface. My doctor sent me home with instructions to call him on Monday if I hadn't gone into labor already and a prognostication that the baby would certainly arrive within the week. I went home excited and very nervous and I stayed that way all weekend. Monday arrived but the baby hadn't yet.

I made the phone call and my doctor had me come back to the office for another quick pelvic exam. At that point he informed me that I was dilated to 5 centimeters. Being that I live more than an hour away from the hospital of delivery and I was dilating with no pain, my doctor and I decided to strip my membranes and go into labor and delivery.

My husband and I gathered the hospital bag together and set off to have us a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment