Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

First Week Back to Work

I did it. I finished a full week back at work.

I have to say, I love my job. I'm a teacher at a pretty rural school. This was my first year there (uh, yeah, oops on the getting-pregnant-3-weeks-before-school-started thing...), and I'm amazed at how wonderful all of my co-workers have been.

The campus supervisors checked in with me, begged for pictures, and then promised to watch my class if I ever need extra time to pump at break or lunch.

Lots of fellow teachers have checked in and welcomed me back, wished me well, and forgave my exhausted and addled brain.

The administrators welcomed me back and then stepped back for a couple of days to let me settle in before letting me know about some extra duties I need to take care of before the end of the year.

My students welcomed me back with a banner and were extra nice to me for about a day.

Then reality set in. My students started to unravel on the second day back. They had two months with a substitute, so it was time to test me again like it was the first week on the job. A lot of patience and a reviewing of MY expectations got them (mostly) back in line.

It's been rough this week. I have to leave the Little Man at home, and he definitely noticed. In fact, this was the week where he decided to quit falling back to sleep after the 2 AM feeding. It was also the week that my husband quit waking up when the Little Man cried at night. So I've been exhausted, frustrated, and then I've had to come back and be on top of my teaching game. After all, this IS my first year in a new district in the middle of a budget crisis.

It's been emotionally and physically draining. What's saved me this week is the support of my co-workers and knowing that a smiling (if tired) boy is waiting for me at home.

Next week is a short week, so that will also be a help. Also, the week after kicks off the end-of-year festivities starting Thursday. And then we have dead week, then finals. The school year is in that magical place where time seems to start accelerating (at least from the teacher's point of view...ha!).

Even given all those positives, though, I wish I were talented enough to work from home doing something like writing or painting or, well, pretty much anything. Oh, who am I kidding. I wish I were just wealthy enough to never work again and spend as much time as I want with the Little Man. Here's to dreams :raises glass:

Happy weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you have such supportive co-workers! That makes a big difference I bet. Glad you survived your first week!

    ReplyDelete