Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Growth Spurts

So, the Little Man just finished his 6 week growth spurt. Thank.Heavens.

I mean, I should have thought of what it might be like ahead of time. Shortly after he was born I heard of the 10 day, 3 week, and 6 week growth spurts - as well as a few later on that I'm choosing not to think about right at the moment. My thoughts on the growth spurts were this abstract mix of "Aw, how sweet," "It will be so exciting to see how he changes!" and "...but I don't want him to grow up too fast!"

None of those thoughts came to my mind in the middle of these growth spurts. Not one. Well, maybe the last one a little.

Remember how when you were a teenager it seemed like you ate and ate and ate and nothing ever satisfied that gaping, bottomless pit that was your stomach?

Well, that seems to be how it works for babies, too. I should have known this. I don't mean to come across as too cocky or anything, but I'm a pretty smart person. I think about things, sometimes too much even. Logic and memory should have served me here. But no.

The Little Man stayed attached to my boob for three days straight at ten days. Three days straight at three weeks. Two days straight at six weeks.

I was sore. I was getting raw. Those were the only times since before my milk came in that I needed to use the lanolin cream. Each time he had a spurt it seemed that he would spend his non-eating time fussing or crying. I felt chained to the bedroom because of the feeding schedule, relying on my husband to bring me food so that I wouldn't have to get up. Could I have left the Little Man there to go fix myself a sandwich or leftovers? Sure, but then we would have a crying baby. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's a whole new stress on a new mom.

Before each spurt was over I would find myself in tears at least once. I would be appalled at myself for being angry. And between dreams of wine and a shower I would wonder how the hell single moms manage to do it.

At the end of each growth spurt relief would come when the Little Man's fatigue set in. You see, that was the other part that mirrors the teen years. Sleep. His little body needed sleep so that it could put all that nutrition to use in growing.

And my nipples healed over the course of that day or two. And I iced my re-engorged breasts after a long, hot shower and a glass of wine.

1 comment:

  1. I am living at (what I hope is) the end of the 10 day one now and am refusing to believe it will start again in a week. Refusing = denial. The glider is shaped perfectly to my ass now.

    ReplyDelete